Christmas Trees are the first items ignited in over 300 reported home structure fires per year.
As you decorate your home for this coming holiday season, be fire smart. Christmas trees are highly flammable, a small fire that gets to a Christmas tree can grow large very quickly. Follow these simple precautions to make your holidays safer.
- When decorating be sure to use only lights marked as being lab tested by UL or ETL/ITSNA for safety.
- Replace any lights that have worn, frayed, or broken cords.
- Always unplug Christmas tree lights before leaving your home or going to bed.
- Keep live trees moist by watering daily. Do not purchase a tree that is dry.
- Make sure your tree is at least three feet away from any heat source.
- Safely dispose your tree when it begins dropping needles.
- Make sure artificial trees are flame retardant.
- Place your tree near an outlet to avoid running long extension cords.
- Do not burn a Christmas tree in a fireplace. They are practically explosive!!!
Wishing you a safe and happy holiday season,
The staff of Nimiroski Insurance.
Kim, Karol, Evelyn and Chris
Please like us on Facebook.