Winter seems to have finally arrived in Massachusetts!!!
This is the time of year when many people travel south to escape the cold. Unfortunately many of these travelers will return to find their homes pipes have frozen resulting in tens of thousands of dollars in water damage.
If you will be leaving your home unoccupied for a few weeks or months here are a few tips to help prevent frozen pipes and mitigate the potential water damage.
- Shut off water supply and drain pipes.
- Have someone you trust check your home about once per week.
- Have emergency numbers handy such as a plumber, electrician, roofer.
- Protect pipes, fittings, and appliances against freezing with insulation or heat strips.
- Have your HVAC system serviced before leaving if you will be away for an extended time.
- Set your thermostat no lower than 55 degrees.
- Before leaving turn off your water heater.
- Clean gutters and downspouts to ensure proper drainage.
- Service sump pump to ensure proper operation. Adding a backup power source is prudent.
- Unplug all nonessential appliances.
- Inform local police that you will be out of town for an extended period.
Please like us on Facebook
(Tips provided by PuroClean)